Sunday, April 25, 2010

Free Fallin'

As many of you know, this fall I'm planning on going to a missions trip/discipleship training school in Germany. I'm going with a group called Youth With a Mission, or YWAM. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am. I'll be going to study film-making, and then using what I learn to minister to others in third-world countries. And I'll be going with one of my best friends! I'll be staying right near where one of my mentors/small group leader will be living. And I'll be within easy traveling distance from another one of my best friends. It's quite possibly going to be one of the best times ever, minus being away from the fam and friends. The best thing to me right now though, is why I'm doing this:

My heart has been tugging at me for a long time, and I've just now been investigating to see what it is it so obnoxiously has been trying to tell me. And honestly, it's been tugging my heart to just get out there. Everything especially hit me hard today at church. This lifestyle that I'm living is great and all. School, hang out with friends, go to church, etc. But it's not what I'm designed for. More and more I've just been realizing that I want to just go out there and help people, and love on them. I want to show them that this world is full of love, and full of HIS love, and that if they just run after that, they can feel his never failing embrace around their lives. I don't want to just donate money. Money can't buy you love. And it especially can't buy God's love. I want to be out there, showing people how His love can radically change your life. This YWAM thing started out as something I just wanted to do. I wanted to learn video, and I wanted to show God's love. But now, I need to. I need to get out there and show His love, in anyway I can.

What comes to mind then, is, what can stop me? Satan can try, but I've got God on my side, and unless He says otherwise, I'm on a full throttle trajectory towards Herrnhut, Germany. The only other thing that's really standing in my way is raising the money. And no, I'm not here to say I need your money. If you do so feel inclined to give, I wouldn't think to reject, but I really just need your prayer. I've got five months to raise enough support to get there. And I'm putting it in God's hands. We're gonna be playing several fundraising shows, and sending out letters, but I'm sort of just free falling into God's arms and believing in Him to get me there. And that's all I can do really.

My friend Meredith, the one who will be in easy traveling distance, is also going through the same thing I am, but with only three months to raise the support. If you wanna follow her journey, the links right here:
http://youmakebeautifulthings.blogspot.com/

My good friend Malcolm, who's going with me to Germany, is also obviously going through the same journey. He doesn't have a blog, but if he does decide to get one, I'll let you know.


God bless!

Mikey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your heart and passion to do this mission trip! I'm proud of you, Mikey!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mikey,
The word 'constrains' comes to mind as I read your blog. "The love of Christ constrains me" or "Christ's love has moved me to such extremes". Check it out in I Corinthians 5:14. I will be praying for you, for your support, your spiritual growth, protection from the evil one (and the evil within and without) and for your health and your effectiveness in promoting the Gospel! You can count on it, Mikey! I am thankful for your sensitive spirit to the Lord's leading.
Gma Becky